Thompson River Interior Paddle Club (TRIPS) Update:
THE YEAR – 2018
A Great Season…Thompson River Interior Paddle Club (TRIPS) enjoyed a great 2018 paddle-season.
Goals: increase community awareness, membership, activity levels.
February/March – various media awareness activities with: Kamloops This Week articles, Sports Section, The Echo News articles, CFJC-TV The Midday Show, and Sports Council Newsletter
March – development and launching of a website: www.kamloopspaddlers.net ;– development and enhancement of Logo; development and printing of new Business Cards, Membership Cards, and a Brochure for handout.
March – a series of three in-pool Learn-To-Paddle safety and instructional sessions at the Tournament Capital Centre Indoor Olympic-size Swimming Pool in Kamloops
April – One-Day Open House at Pioneer Park – information session for the community offering tours, our informational brochure, handing out Club Business Cards, and hosting short canoe trips.
April – regular, season-long, Tuesday evening learn-to-paddle sessions for new and regular members (follow-up to in-pool lessons).
April – regular, season-long, Thursday evening Paddling
Club paddlers: –
• worked with the newbies offering leadership organizing flatwater fun paddles at Lac Le June and on the river;
• represented TRIPS at Provincial and International events such as the Ski to Sea in Washington State wherein Scott Decker did us proud placing 14th in the competitive river canoe section of the race
• at the Nechako River Challenge in Prince George Darryl Spencer brought glory to the club placing first in his leg of the tough Seniors’ Recreational Event.
-in May, hosted a Canoe and Kayak B.C. Certified River Marathon Clinic
-co-hosted a July 1st two-day weekend river marathon event, in Enderby on Saturday and Kamloops on Sunday, with participants from all over the province. The fun event included: on the river paddling, camping at the half-way mark in Salmon Arm, and a wrap-up BBQ at Pioneer Park.
-participated in the B.C. Canoe Association’s weekend Conference and Workshop sessions at Harrison, B.C.
– Kamloops hosted a Canoe and Kayak B.C. event on the Thompson River (Savona to Ashcroft) with thirty plus paddlers from B.C. participating in a fun day doing the light white-water rapids. Many Kamloops members participating in this event.
-September, instituted Wednesday Leisure Paddles on the Thompson River, 5:30-6:30
Over the 2018 season TRIPS membership participated in:
(1) various fundraising events;
(2) ongoing canoe and equipment maintenance and repair;
(3) repair and enhancement June project of enlarging and re-securing our enclosed site for equipment and gear storage at Pioneer Park
TRIPS welcome new members!
- Annual dues $75.00 (less 10% for seniors) Families: $150.
- Supply: canoes, paddles, safety equipment, life jackets.
- Call: Chairperson Darryl Spencer at 250 376-6017 for more information on how to get involved and get paddling